The Project consists of the construction and operation of streetcar service in downtown Los Angeles, California, along up to 3.8-mile one-way loop. The Project alignment would begin at Hill and 1st Streets, run east along 1st Street, south along Broadway, west along 11th Street, north along Figueroa Street, east along 7th Street or 9th Street, and north along Hill Street, back to its beginning at 1st Street. Potential inclusion of a Grand Avenue Extension would also provide a two-way alignment spur west along 1st Street, beginning at Hill Street, and continuing south along Grand Avenue to a stop north of 2nd Street by the Disney Concert Hall.
Five project alternatives are being studied as part of this EIR:
- No Project Alternative
- Project Alternative 2: 7th Street eastbound alignment with an extension to Grand Avenue.
- Project Alternative 3: 7th Street eastbound alignment without an extension to Grand Avenue.
- Project Alternative 4: 9th Street eastbound alignment with an extension to Grand Avenue.
- Project Alternative 5: 9th Street eastbound alignment without an extension to Grand Avenue.
There are four potential sites for the maintenance and storage facilities. These include (1) the southwest corner of 11th and Olive Streets, (2) the southeast corner of 11th Street and Olive Street, (3) the northwest corner of Hill Street and 5th Street, or (4) the east side of Broadway between 2nd and 3rd Streets. As needed, additional alternatives may be identified to lessen or avoid potential environmental impacts
The environmental impacts of the alternatives, and additional alternatives identified, will be evaluated in an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) as well as a separate Environmental Assessment (EA). Public scoping meeting was held on Wednesday, January 23rd 2013 to receive public comments regarding the scope and content of the environmental information to be included in the Draft EIR and EA.
The Draft EIR was made available for public review for a 45-day period which -began on June 24, 2016, and closed on August 8, 2016. Public comments on the Draft EIR were received during this period. The Draft EIR and all documents referenced in the Draft EIR were available for viewing at the following locations:
- Bureau of Engineering, Environmental Management Group, 1149 South Broadway, 6th Floor, contact: William Jones at (213) 485-5760, fax (213) 847-0656 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Los Angeles Central Public Library; 203 S. Los Angeles Street, CA 90012
- Little Tokyo Branch Library; 203 S. Lo Angeles Street, CA 90012
- Additionally, the Draft EIR and Appendices were made available at the following location: http://eng.lacity.org/techdocs/emg/historic_streetcar.htm
During the public review period, a public meeting was held to provide an opportunity for interested parties to comment on the Draft EIR. The public meeting was held at he Ron Deaton Civic Auditorium, 100 W First St, L.A. 90012, on Tuesday, July 12, 2016, from 6:30 to 8 p.m.
Following the close of the review period, the City prepared responses to comments and compiled these comments and responses into a Final EIR. All responses to comments submitted on the EIR by public agencies will be provided to those agencies at least 10 days prior to final action on the project.
The Final EIR for the project can be viewed using the link below or by appointment at 1149 S. Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90015. For additional information, please contact William Jones of the Bureau of Engineering at (213) 485-5760 or email@example.com
If you have any questions, please contact William Jones at (213) 485-5760 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Final EIR was considered by the Planning and Land Use Management Committee (PLUM) on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 2:30 pm in Room 350, 200 North Spring Street,
Los Angeles, CA 90012. The Final EIR has been referred to City Council and is tentatively scheduled for their meeting on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 10 am in 340,
200 North Spring Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012
The City Council and Committees' Agendas once posted can be downloaded using the following link: