The benefits of this project are in three main domains; public safety, improved mobility & access, and community pride.
Address seismic vulnerabilities by strengthening improvements to the substructure elements of the viaduct complex and bringing it up to current standards
- Improve pedestrian and bicycle facilities, including wider sidewalks, signalized pedestrian crossings, a new pedestrian bridge, and a more convenient connection between the viaduct and the LA River bikeway
Improved Mobility and Access
- Improve car, bike, and pedestrian travel by updating the design of the bridge’s roadway, intersections and on-and off-ramps
- Re-align the I-5 northbound off-ramp to allow left turns onto southbound Glendale Boulevard
- Reconstruct the existing deteriorated railings with historic replicas and rehabilitate other historic decorative elements, including bridge lighting
- Build a pedestrian/bicycle bridge on top of the pylons formerly used for the Red Car, connecting both sides of the river