Initial Study/Negative Declaration (IS/ND) for the Big Tujunga Wash at Oro Vista Avenue Maintenance Program consists of the long-term clearing, cleaning, maintaining, repairing, and restoring of Oro Vista Avenue and associated berms, swales, and shoulders that are located adjoining Oro Vista Avenue, within the Big Tujunga Wash. At the end of the Southern California rainy season (October to April), and/or after major storms (December to March), and/or after a major release of water from the Big Tujunga Dam, the City would remove accumulated sediments (i.e. sands, mud, boulders, etc.) and debris (i.e., trash, logs, trees, brush, etc.) that block the flow of waters through the culverts or over the Arizona Crossing, upstream and downstream of Oro Vista Avenue. All work will be accomplished shortly after major flows have ceased and most all ground cover would have been removed due to water flows and scouring. The project will recreate berms and swales around Oro Vista Avenue, within the Big Tujunga Wash, as needed to restore it to its pre-storm flow, pre-storm season, or pre-discharge of waters from Big Tujunga Dam, (i.e., through culverts or over Arizona Crossing). There will be no new stream channelization or relocation.
The Initial Study/Negative Declaration was available for review at the following locations:
- Sunland-Tujunga Branch Library (7771 Foothill Boulevard Tujunga, CA 91042)
- Council District 7 Field Office (7747 Foothill Blvd Tujunga, CA 91042)
- Los Angeles Bureau of Engineering, Environmental Management Office (LABOE, EMG) (1149 S Broadway, Suite 600: Contact: James R Tebbetts at (213) 485-5732)
- Bureau of Engineering (BOE) Web Site - http://eng.lacity.org/big-tujunga-wash-oro-vista-maintenance-program
All comments were to be submitted in writing no later than 4:00 p.m. on August 3, 2015 by mailing, e-mailing to James.Tebbetts@lacity.org (Include Big Tujunga Wash at Oro Vista Maintenance Program in Subject Line), faxing ((213) 847-0656) or hand delivery to James R Tebbetts, or mail to: James R Tebbetts, City of Los Angeles, BOE EMG, 1149 S. Broadway, Suite 600, Mail Stop 939, Los Angeles, CA 90015.
If you have any questions, please contact James R Tebbetts at (213) 485-5732 or via email James.Tebbetts@lacity.org ((Include Big Tujunga Wash at Oro Vista Maintenance Program in Subject Line).
(Click on italicized text to view report)
|Review Status||Public Review Period|
|Notice of Intent to Adopt MND||Closed||N/A|
|Mitigated Negative Declaration/Initial Study and Appendix A||Closed||July 2, 2015 - August 3, 2015|
- APPENDIX B - Plan P-34963 (12/1/96)
- APPENDIX C - Report for the Santa Ana Sucker (Catostomus santaanae) Survey and Relocation Effort in the Big Tujunga Wash at Oro Vista Avenue (W.O. E1907366) by Manna Warburton (TE-106908-1), Senior Biologist, ECORP Consulting, Inc. July 8, 2010.
- APPENDIX D (Files 1 through 4) - Vegetation Assessment Report for Oro Vista Avenue North of Big Tujunga Canyon Road, by William Jones, Environmental Supervisor I, Bureau of Engineering, Environmental Management Group (EMG). May 23, 2013.
- APPENDIX E - - Wetland Delineation and Assessment Report - Oro Vista Avenue at Tujunga Wash (WO E1907295), by James R Tebbetts, Environmental Specialist II, Bureau of Engineering, Environmental Management Group (EMG). January 21, 2015
- APPENDIX F - South Central Coastal Information Center (SCCIC) Records Search, April 13, 2015
The Final Negative Declaration/Initial Study can be found as shown below:
|Report (Click on italicized text to view document)|
|Final Negative Declaration/Initial Study for the Big Tujunga Wash at Oro Vista Avenue Maintenance Program. To include Notice of Determination.|
|Appendices, links noted above.|
Final Negative Declaration/Initial Study – Board of Public Works Hearing
The City of Los Angeles (City) prepared the Final Initial Study/Negative Declaration (FIS/ND) for the Big Tujunga Wash at Oro Vista Avenue Maintenance Program. Approval of the FIS/ND will be considered by the Board of Public Works and then presented to the City Council for certification and project approval. The Board of Public Works will consider this item on a date to be determined at City Hall, 200 North Spring Street, Room 350, Los Angeles, CA 90012. If recommended, the City Council would then consider the certification of the FIS/ND and project approval at a future meeting
Please click here for the Board of Public Works meeting agenda.