Building a Safer Street For All, From Figueroa Street to San Pedro Street
In April 2022, the City of Los Angeles Bureau of Engineering, in partnership with Council District 14, is beginning a $12 million multimodal transportation project to add pedestrian and bicyclist safety improvements, including pedestrian lighting, bus islands, and trees, to Downtown LA’s 7th Street between Figueroa Street to San Pedro Street. Construction will begin at San Pedro Street and continue westward.
First planned in 2015 as part of the “Envisioning 7th Street” process, Council District 14, City staff, and the design team worked closely with community and business leaders to develop plans for a more beautiful and functional 7th Street, transforming it into a new boulevard that will safely serve pedestrians, bicyclists, and transit users!
- To improve the pedestrian experience.
- To improve bicycling connectivity and safety.
- To improve the transit experience for riders and operators.
Stakeholder & Community Meetings
All are welcome to attend the next meeting, which will be hosted on Zoom.
Virtual Construction Update Community Meeting
Previous Community Meetings
- Stakeholder Meeting #1 – October 4, 2018
- Stakeholder Meeting #2 – March 4, 2019
- Virtual Stakeholder Meeting #3 – December 17, 2020 (PRESENTATION HERE)
- Virtual Community Meeting #1 – January 27, 2021 (PRESENTATION HERE)
- Virtual Community Meeting #2 - March 30, 2022 (PRESENTATION HERE) (VIDEO HERE)
Through community input and technical evaluation, this thriving neighborhood and commercial corridor has been designed to allow safety improvements and additional amenities including:
- New protected “cycle track” bike lanes
- Sidewalk improvements, including ADA enhancements
- New pedestrian lighting in the parkways
- Well-lit transit “islands,” for safer places to wait for transit
- New pavement and lane striping
- New street trees
- Micro-mobility stations for safer access to bike and scooter share and bike racks
The 7th Street Streetscape offers a new beginning for a historic street with a goal of delivering a better quality of life for pedestrians, cyclists, residents, businesses, and motorists.
Subscribe to receive construction update email notices by emailing
If you’d like to be on the email list, please email Outreach Contact Jessica Padilla Bowen at email@example.com.